Scotts® Turf Builder® Grass Seed Dense Shade Mix
Overview & Benefits
- Grows quicker, thicker, greener grass, guaranteed!
- Contains our exclusive WaterSmart® PLUS coating that absorbs 2X more water than uncoated seed, feeds to jumpstart growth, and protects seedlings against disease.
- Exclusive mix of shade tolerant and self repairing grasses.
- Ideal for seeding around or under dense trees.
- Grows with as little as 3 hours of sunlight.
- Click Here for other helpful tips and tricks when planting grass seed.
How to use Turf Builder® Grass Seed
3 lb, 7 lb
Scotts® Broadcast / Rotary Spreader
- (Turf Builder® Edgeguard Mini, Basic, Standard, Deluxe Edgeguard, Edgeguard DLX, Lawn Pro & Speedy Green) - Set to 10 for Reseeding and set to 10½ for New Lawn/Bare Spot Coverage and go over lawn twice.
Scotts® Drop Spreaders
- (AccuGreen, Classic Drop) - Set to 15 for Reseeding and set to 16 for New Lawn/Bare Spot Coverage and go over lawn twice.
Scotts® Hand-Held Spreaders
- Set to 5 for Reseeding and for New Lawn/Bare Spot Coverage and go over lawn twice.
- Set to 6.5 for Reseeding, 7.5 for New Grass and go over twice.
Other Spreaders | Lookup spreader settings
How to Use
Rake area to loosen the top layer of soil and remove dead grass. For best results, add a thin layer of Scotts® Turf Builder® LawnSoil™ before applying seed.
Apply using a Scotts® spreader. Lightly rake the seed into the soil.
Watering is a critical step to seeding success. Water daily or as needed to keep the soil surface moist until the seedlings reach at least 2 inches tall.
Seed will begin to grow in 6-14 days. You can mow the seedlings when they reach 3 inches in height. For best results, apply Scotts® Turf Builder® Starter® Food for New Grass. Do not apply a weed control product until after at least four mowings.
When to Apply
Fall and spring are the best times to plant grass seed because seed germinates best when temperatures are between 60°F and 80°F.
Avg. Days to Germinate
6 - 30
3lb: up to 750 sq. ft. for reseeding and 330 sq. ft for new lawn coverage
7lb: up to 1,750 sq. ft for reseeding and 770 sq. ft. for new lawn coverage