Overview & Benefits
If you’ve ever squinted at a newly seeded patch in the lawn to see if anything had started growing, there’s a new grass seed mix on the block. Instead of planting dry grass seed, then watering, waiting, & wondering if your seed will ever grow, opt for Scotts® Sprouts™ a radically new seed, fertilizer, and mulch solution.
This groundbreaking grass seed mix will help you feel more confident this time around because it literally starts growing before it ever hits the ground for quick results. The magic really does start in the bag. Before you know it, you'll be enjoying a filled-in, frustration-free yard. A lush, patch-free lawn? It’s in the bag.
One 3 lb bag covers up to 100 sq. ft.
Pairs Nicely With
Pour 3 cups of water into the bag. Seal, shake, & knead bag for 1-2 minutes to ensure the mix is wetted evenly throughout. Store at room temperature for 3-5 days in low light. Once little white sprouts are seen in the bag, seed is ready to plant.
For the best results, rake/loosen the soil to ~ 1 inch. Mix, open bag & shake sprouts onto the ground where needed. Lightly rake, covering just beneath the soils. Water immediately to keep growing.
Watch sprouts start to pop up into grass 1 - 2 days after planting. Water daily or as needed to keep the soil moist for at least 3 weeks. Avoid foot traffic on the new grass. You can reduce watering & mow new grass once seedlings reach 3 inches in height.
- Product Specs
- See growth before seed ever hits the ground with Scotts® Sprouts™—A radical new sun and shade seeding solution that literally starts growing in the bag for quick results upon planting
- This ready to grow combination of seed, fertilizer, and mulch is activated by adding water to the bag with little white sprouts emerging 3 days later signaling it's time to plant and get growing
- Feel confident as you apply growing seedlings that are ready to grow in your lawn and watch grass start to pop up quickly in just 1-2 days after planting (subject to proper care)
- A specially designed bag provides the ideal environment of moisture and air for seed to sprout as well as doubles as an applicator to spread sprouts with precision to bare spots and patchy areas in your lawn
- One 3 lb. bag covers up to 100 sq. ft.—or the equivalent of up to 100 bare spots—and grass is ready to be mowed and receive less water when seedlings reach 3 inches in height
- Sprouts is fundamentally different than all other seeding products on the market because it allows consumers to easily sprout their seed BEFORE planting. This jumpstart reduces time, effort, and stress involved when repairing patches in the lawn.
How to use
1. Sprouts works best when placed in a location receiving constant room temperature (~70ºF) and low light. We recommend placing your bag out of direct sunlight to prevent large swings in temperature. Consider avoiding garage spaces as nightly lows below 50ºF and/or daily highs above 85ºF could negatively impact results.
2. Look closely for small, white roots “sprouts” to begin emerging from some of the seeds within 3-5 days. This is the visual indicator the seeds are ready for planting. Note: some roots could be up to ¼ inch in length. A visible root on every seed may not be present due to the mix of grass species used.
3. Once your seeds have begun sprouting they will need to be planted. Extra product can be lightly broadcasted across any thin areas of your lawn.
4. Rake area to loosen the top layer of soil and remove and dear grass or debris.
When to apply
Fall and Spring at the best times to plant grass seed. Seed germinates best when temperatures are between 60ºF and 80ºF. Hot summer temperatures will dry out and stress seedlings causing poor results.
Non Availability Regions
Scotts No-Quibble Money Back Guarantee®
If for any reason you, the consumer, are not satisfied after using this product, you are entitled to get your money back. Simply send us evidence of purchase and we will mail you a refund check promptly. To contact us, visit our Help Center.
All of the materials in Sprouts are non-toxic and safe around pets (when used as directed).
Mow when new grass reaches 2-3 inches in height.
This is not the product label. Always read and follow the product label before use.
The bag was specifically designed with an “Easy Tear” zip closure that shuts easily, yet maintains a tight seal as water is added and the product is shaken. Sprout bags cannot currently be offered for recycling in the United States.
- Leaving your sprouts in the bag for up to a week could make the seeds more susceptible to damage and/or drying out at the time of planting. For best results, try to avoid waiting longer than 5 days to plant after adding water to the bag.
- Sprouts contains a slow-release nitrogen fertilizer that feeds for up to 12 weeks. Establishment aids, such as Scotts® Turf Builder® LawnSoil™, may be used as needed per on-pack instructions.
- You cannot "just add water" into the bag of any of our current products and obtain the same results as Sprouts. You would also not be able to apply any of those wet products from their bag as they would not be flowable. Sprouts was specially designed to provide ideal conditions to the seed during germination by creating the perfect environment of available moisture and air while still being easily shaken from its bag at the time of planting.
- Water your sprouts immediately after planting and continue watering twice daily for at least 3 weeks to keep the soil surface moist. It is important to water often until seedlings are at least 2 inches tall. Avoid foot and pet traffic on the new grass.
What to Expect
As the seed sprouts, it converts starches (its internal energy reserve) into sugars - this might give off a slightly “sweet” smell when you open the bag at the time of planting.