Technology Solutions for Saving Water
Discover these simple ways to save water, time, and money.
The beauty of a tech-based watering system is that it takes the guesswork out of knowing when to water. It’s like bringing your smart home assistant outside and putting it to work saving water using scientific data, including things like weather forecasts, rainfall amounts, and wind speed. The result is precision watering that gives plants just the right amount of moisture to grow and thrive.
What’s more, having a tech-based system delivers huge water savings—up to 7,600 gallons per year per home if it’s an EPA WaterSense-certified device like the Gro® 7 Zone Controller. Not only is that a more environmentally responsible way to water, but it’s also the kind of conservation you’ll notice when your water bill arrives. Plus, you can monitor and operate it from anywhere using an app on your favorite device.
The Gro® 7 Zone Controller is a smart irrigation controller that works with new or existing sprinkler systems. Installing it is an easy do-it-yourself job that doesn’t require special skills, digging up your yard, or help from a landscape professional. It works with the Gro Connect app to build a customized smart watering schedule for up to 7 zones based on your location, weather patterns, and types of plants you’re growing. The Controller acts as the brains of the operation for the sprinkler system, telling it when to turn the water on and off.
Another important element of a smart watering system is a set of soil sensors that monitor that amount of water in the soil so you don’t have to go around sticking your finger in the dirt. The Gro® Water Sensor shares soil moisture data via Wi-Fi with the Gro Connect app, which contains a 50,000-plant database with specific, detailed watering needs for each plant. By placing sensors in different planting areas in your yard, the app gathers even more data to help it decide when—and how much—you need to water.
Clearly, using a smart irrigation system is an excellent way to save time and money while conserving water. In case you need further convincing, though, here’s a quick summary of the advantages:
- Easy access. You control the system from the palm of your hand with a smartphone or tablet. Monitor the system from anywhere, and make changes with the tap of a finger. No more dashing outside during a downpour to turn off a controller. You run the show from the cozy convenience of your favorite chair.
- Custom design. The name says it all: A smart irrigation system is smarter than you. It decides when to water based on real-time data, providing a hyper-local, highly customized schedule.
- Zero waste. A smart watering system delivers water with precision, giving plants a just-right amount, so there’s no waste.
- Less stress on your brain. You don’t have to remember to water because smart watering controllers do it for you.
- Voice controls. The Gro® 7 Zone Controller integrates seamlessly with your home’s smart speaker, letting you water with simple, intuitive commands, like “Alexa, my lawn looks thirsty,” or “Hey, Google, water my plants for 10 minutes.”
- Money in your pocket. Because they save water, smart irrigation controllers pay for themselves over the course of a few summers. For EPA WaterSense-certified products like the Gro® 7 Zone Controller, that can happen even more quickly if your local utility offers rebates. Contact your local utility to learn more, or use the EPA’s online rebate finder.
Making the move to a tech-based watering system is one decision you won’t regret. With one small investment, you’ll reap a trifecta of savings: saving water, saving time, and saving money!