Mulch & Garden
The Benefits of Mulching & How to Pick the Right Type of Mulch Material
Learn about this simple way to turn your landscape from blah to beautiful.
Mulch instantly gives your landscape a beautiful, finished appearance, but the advantages go far beyond simply elevating the look or value of your home or business, especially when you choose a natural-based mulch over one made of rubber or gravel.
How Mulching Helps
· Adds curb appeal. Mulch instantly adds rich color and a manicured look to your landscape beds, along the foundation of your home, around trees and shrubs, and between garden beds. Colored mulches, such as Scotts® Nature Scapes® Color Enhanced Mulch or extra-fine Scotts® Nature Scapes® Triple Shred Mulch, do a wonderful job of complementing the hues of both your home and flower gardens.
· Improves the soil. Wood mulches, like those available from Scotts®, and mulches made from other organic materials improve the soil as they break down. Microbes and insects in the soil naturally consume the mulch over time, adding the by-products back to the soil in the form of organic matter..
· Protects against temperature changes. Mulch acts as an insulator, helping to regulate soil temperature to keep plant roots cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Mulching is especially important for new plantings done in the fall that are still tender as temperatures begin to plummet.
· Conserves moisture. When you mulch you can spend less time watering. Mulch helps slow moisture evaporation so more water remains in the soil and available to thirsty plant roots.
· Helps prevents weeds. A 2- to 3-inch layer of mulch naturally helps prevents weed from sprouting and taking over the landscape by blocking their growth and access to sunlight.
How to Choose the Right Mulch
Mulches can be made of many different materials—there are wood mulches, rock mulches, and synthetic mulches. To get the benefit of improving the soil (in addition to the rest of the mulch benefits), you’ll want to select a wood mulch variety. Both Scotts® Nature Scapes® Color Enhanced Mulch and Scotts® Nature Scapes® Triple Shred Mulch are made from natural recovered forest materials, not ground-up pallets or construction debris.
These two premium mulches, available in black, brown, and red, also provide you with rich color that lasts up to a year. When choosing a mulch color, pick a hue that accents or coordinates with your home. Brick houses look great with brown or red mulch colors. The darker the mulch color, the better brightly colored flowers will stand out in your design. Remember, though, that black mulches tend to reflect heat, so choose a lighter color if you live in a warm region and are concerned with overheating your plants.
When it comes to sprucing up your landscape and improving your plants’ environment in a short period of time, adding mulch is a simple and speedy solution.